Monday, September 10, 2012

The Day I {Almost} Gave Up on Sororities...

Allow me to preface this post with a Statement, I am not bitter, I don't hate Greeks {in fact I LOVE the girls i know in Greek Sororities, they are amazing} But this post is not necessarily 100% Pro Greek, It's my experience and mine alone. Just sharing and I in no way want this to influence anyones decision not to Rush a sorority. In many ways the times i went through recruitment were so rewarding, I learned a lot and I've grown a LOT! I owe that to my experiences. However...
For those of you that regularly read my blog, you know that I am a member of a great Non-Greek Sorority on my College's campus, and that I love said sorority and my sisters more than anything. That said, today is the one year anniversary of the day that very nearly caused me to give up on the idea of sororities all together. Today my friends is Bid Day at my school, the culmination of three tough days of Recruitment through which dozens of girls find their home each year. Needless to say I was not one of these Girls... Last year was my Junior year of college, my first full year at my current school and despite having been rejected by a sorority that i loved the previous spring I decided it was time to try again. I signed my happy little behind up for Formal Rush in the fall, bought the perfect outfits, perfected my smile, laugh, and conversation, learned how to put on makeup and look people in the eyes when i talked to them {I have always been painfully shy when i meet new people so this was a huge step for me} and i arrived on Campus ready for a new year, and more than ready to take on Recruitment just knowing that this year i would find my home. I was secretly hoping that the sorority that had rejected me the year previous would decide they wanted me this time, but i went into the first day with an open mind, i would give all three a chance and who ever wanted me I would be more than happy to call that Sorority home, to call those girls my sisters.
This was me on the first day of formal recruitment, i know i looked terrible, my new hair cut was not doing what I wanted, my makeup wasn't cooperating, and it was literally 100 degrees outside so I was melting but I made my way through the day, fell in love with Two of the Sororities and went home that night feeling confident, our Rho Chi's had done everything they could to make us feel comfortable and make this as pleasant for us as possible, mine happened to be a friend i had made the previous semester when I had rushed. I left that night feeling good, however the next day did not bring the excitement I had been hoping for. When I arrived for day two i was given the sheet with the houses that had asked me back for round two, much to my surprise {mainly because we had been told that they were only cutting people who didn't meet the GPA requirement first round, and I had a 4.0 GPA} I had only been invited back to one house. I held back my tears and went through with the day anyway. After all this was the sorority i had wanted to join all along, the one I had loved since I rushed the previous year, the one I had my heart set on, and they hadn't cut me so that must mean they wanted me too. I was hopeful, the day went well, I had made it to Pref Night the year before and I was optimistic, but like everything else in life Recruitment threw me for a curve. In stead of spending the next night getting to know the sisters better at the Preference Ceremony I was lying in my bed crying my eyes out into a tissue, eating ice cream and watching a sad movie on TV. {Typical girl behavior.} That morning my Rho Chi had called to let me know that they weren't offering me a invitation to preference night, my rush experience was done, i hadn't even made it as far the second time as I did the first. I was heart broken. I spent that night like a hermit in my room. Dreading the next day, the day that all girls look forward to at the end of their recruitment period, BID DAY. The day where you get your letters, the day you find your home. But for me it was just the day that I almost gave up. I was crushed, I had convinced myself that I would never fit in, that I would never find those sisters I had wanted for so long. I swore of Sororities and had told the girls I knew who were in the Sorority i wanted in, including my friend the Rho Chi that I was never going to rush again. It hurt too much, the rejection, feeling like you weren't wanted, like you weren't good enough. I said I was done. But then a Funny thing Happened...
I saw a flyer on the way to chemistry class, for a Christian Sorority... And I was skeptical, heck I was downright afraid. But I decided to go to the interest night anyway. And I loved it, I loved everything about it. I decided that first night that I had found my home, and I haven't looked back since. I guess maybe all along God was telling me that he had other plans for me. I LOVE being in a Sorority, I love my friends in other Sororities, and yes bid day still gives me little pangs of pain in my heart because It does hurt. But I am so grateful for all I learned from trying. But in the end I believe that All the pain was worth it... I found my home, I found my sisters... So just for the sake of wrapping this up... Here's a picture of my Sisters, my family, my friends, my home.

1 comment: